Total #hits:

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Practice Update

Tuesday night’s practice was at New England Yoga, with Deborah Dowson teaching. She has a great voice, just enough volume with a softness to it that is encouraging. I want to steal a few of her phrases as well. It was the best practice since July, with my knee going along for the ride in a number of ½ lotus positions, although still not Marichyasana B or D, but I didn’t expect that yet. I got the bind in ardha baddha padma paschimottanasana, but couldn’t fold forward yet (on that side). Fine, I’m happy with the bind for now. But the best was baddha padmasana, in lotus with hands to elbows (I have yet to clasp feet here) I could fold forward forward to the floor. Pure joy and gratitude!

The next morning the knee is, well, a bit twingy, a tiny bit stiff, but I went for a walk and it feels okay, I think. I’ll find out for sure in the morning when I practice again. I think the important thing is that my hamstrings felt warm and pliable last night, all of my forward folds are deeper, and I think that this is what allows the hip and knee to open up more. In fact, I suspect that the knee was caused by the hamstrings tightening up from over-practice. Too much ego, over efforting, too much tapas, whatever you want to call it I totally overdid it!

No comments:

Post a Comment