Total #hits:

Monday, September 19, 2011

This picture is from a 1958 book titled "The Key of Yoga" by Walter B. Gibson. I love the 50's aesthetic here, and it's also worthy of note that Kino Macgregor was not the first woman to do yoga in a tube top.

And let's face it, I just wish that I could do yoga in a tube top!

I made it through nearly Day 6 of the Fall Detox, but was derailed slightly by a family dinner at my very favorite Italian restaurant. I made intelligent choices, avoided the bread, had a glass of wine, but by Sunday I had no kitchari left and no time to make it, so it was hard to get back on track. So I'm adding 2 days and trying to figure out where to go from here. David Garrigues began a 3 part video on the yogi's diet and I'll be eagerly watching that this week.

This morning I'm experimenting with drinking a half cup of coffee before practicing, which is why I'm posting before 6am. Yesterday I practiced 2nd series. The knee is getting better, the lotus slightly deeper and I'm learning how far I can push it. There is some pain, but my feeling is that if I don't push it at all, it will heal in a tighter place that could take many months or even years to undo. Finding that perfect edge is tricky. The headstands in 2nd series are a lot of fun to play with. Once you've got a basic headstand, the variations are interesting and surprising. Put my hands where? Okay, that wasn't too bad. Now out to the side, okay, we'll see....

The next post I'm working on is based on ideas from a book called Talent is Overrated, by Geoff Colvin, which my friend and fellow yogi Kevan Gale told me about a few years ago, which I'm just getting back to. I highly recommended this book if you're interested in performance in any field of endeavor. I'm wrapping my mind about how to apply all these ideas to my yoga and art practice, and to the teaching of yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment